Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gardening for healthy choices

As part of our healthy eating plan, I am adding a completely new garden this year. We had a square foot garden with tomatoes, peppers, squash and beans last year. However this year I have decided to add a separate greens garden. It will have nothing but rotating crops of lettuce, kale and any other "greens" I decide to try. I want to have a continuous variety through out the year. I have found several 4 x 4 foot gardens which will be perfect for the 2 of us.

Last years square foot garden
Our garden is 12 x 12 so I figure we will double everything. Here is a picture of our garden last spring. I can't wait until we can start putting plants in this year! I am also hoping to grow some herbs along the side of the garden so it will be one stop shopping. I have free range chickens so I have a wonderful compost pile that I use for my garden.
Future salad greens garden



What is your favorite vegetables or plants? What do you think?  What would you put in this spot? I want to try new things in the garden. We live in eastern North Carolina which is similar to the Florida panhandle growing seasons.  We lived there for years so it is easy to transfer my garden ideas from the old place to the new.

Don't forget to email this post to people if you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment