Monday, February 4, 2013

Gluten free Mango BBQ Beans



I found this recipe for Mango BBQ beans at What Would Cathy Eat. First let me tell you, I did modify it some. Cathy uses more spices than my family will eat. I would definitely recommend making it as she has. The changes I made to the dish were in the spices. I followed it exactly down through the bean liquid. At that point I just used 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper. Only later did I realize that I had forgotten to add salt or pepper. But it didn't need it! It was perfect for our simple palates. I partnered it with a baked potato and broiled Kale. This dish will be added to my menu planning.

Gluten free

I chose this recipe because my sons girlfriend has Celiac's disease and I am trying to cook gluten free recipes at least 3 times a week. I noticed that gluten free is also low in cholesterol so everyone benefits. She liked the dish and was glad it was mad with pinto beans. Apparently kidney beans aggravates hr stomach. I don't know if that is normal for Celiac's or not. However, it isn't a problem since we use dried pinto beans anyway.

Nutritional Value
The nutritional value of the Mango BBQ Beans based on the way I fixed it is at the bottom of the post. I can't imagine there would be much difference if you made the dish her way. I notice she used agave nectar which I didn't. It is sweet enough for us without it.

Don't forget to email this post to people if you like it!


Nutrition Facts   6 Servings   Amount Per Serving
  Calories 123.5  Total Fat 2.7 g     Saturated Fat 0.4 g     Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g     Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g  Cholesterol 0.0 mg  Sodium 317.5 mg  Potassium 434.1 mg  Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g     Dietary Fiber 5.4 g     Sugars 5.9 g  Protein 4.7 g  Vitamin A 9.6 %  Vitamin B-120.0 %  Vitamin B-610.3 %  Vitamin C 23.2 %  Vitamin D 0.0 %  Vitamin E 6.0 %  Calcium 3.8 %  Copper 10.5 %  Folate 21.6 %  Iron 9.4 %  Magnesium 9.0 %  Manganese 18.2 %  Niacin 4.0 %  Pantothenic Acid    3.3 %  Phosphorus    9.5 %  Riboflavin 5.4 %  Selenium 5.4 %  Thiamin 8.1 %  Zinc 4.2 %

No comments:

Post a Comment